Devin Howe and his wife, Tawsha Howe, are the owners of and primary instructors at Liberty Defense. Devin has been shooting for over 20 years in formal training, in recreation, and with the Boy Scouts of America. Here’s Devin’s story in his own words.
My journey into firearms training and instruction began in 2007. I was traveling a lot for work and my wife was at home alone with our first child. We decided to purchase pistols for home defense and to apply for concealed firearm permits so we could defensively carry our pistols outside our home. To obtain permits, our state required us to attend a day-long course where we learned about federal and state gun laws, how to operate a pistol, gun safety, and more. We enjoyed the course and gained tremendous knowledge about carrying a concealed firearm and the responsibility that comes along with it. However, we quickly recognized that knowledge is very different than skill. I’d learned that in an emergency, one performs at his/her lowest level of training and at that point I knew that my pistol skills needed improvement. I needed formal, hands-on training.
In 2010 I had the opportunity to attend an intensive 4-day firearms training. It was an incredible experience that drastically improved my skills. It also broadened my understanding of the 2nd amendment and the rights and responsibilities we have as citizens and gun owners. As I returned home from this trip I had a desire to teach others about firearms and to share the knowledge I’d gained. I investigated the NRA’s training courses and was impressed by their content and methods. Since that time I have become an NRA Training Counselor, an NRA Range Safety Officer, and an NRA Certified Instructor for the following courses:
- NRA Home Firearm Safety Course
- NRA FIRST Steps Pistol Orientation
- NRA FIRST Steps Rifle Orientation
- NRA FIRST Steps Shotgun Orientation
- NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Course
- NRA Basic Rifle Shooting Course
- NRA Basic Shotgun Shooting Course
- NRA Basic Personal Protection In The Home Course
- NRA Basics of Personal Protection Outside The Home
- NRA CCW (Concealed Carry Weapon)
- NRA Chief Range Safety Officer
My training and accomplishments also include the following:
- Attended 282+ hours of formal firearms training, of which 242+ hours were defensive handgun training
- Attended 108+ hours of firearms instructor training
- Conducted 274+ hours of firearms instruction with 478+ students
- Attained the rank of pistol “Expert” in the Winchester/NRA Marksmanship Qualification Program
- Attained the rank of “Distinguished Graduate” of the Front Sight 4-Day Defensive Handgun Course
I’ve found shooting to be very rewarding and enjoyable, and I think you will too. It will increase your self confidence, your awareness of your surroundings, and your sense of responsibility. I’m excited that you’re interested in gaining formal firearms training. It has helped me tremendously and I know it will you as well.